Tuesday 14 June 2016

Nico Mbarga's Sweet Mother

Nice tune. 


Remember Nico Mbarga in the 70's? 


Every radio station played his song:  "Sweet Mother."
 
 
This is part of the song lyrics

"Sweet Mother
I no go forget uuu
for dis suffer wey u suffer
for me eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh
when I dey sick
my mother go cry
she go say, "my pikin make u no die"
my mother no go chop
she no dey tire oooooo
Sweet Mother
I no go forget d suffer wey u suffer for me
eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh
Sweet Mother
ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah
Sweet Mother
eh gho gho gho gho gho gho gho
..............................................................
God bless you God bless u
my pikin o o o o o o o o"
 
 
 
Nico Mbarga played the guitar. 


I'm not sure who were his influences. 


But he was known for his 70's men's dressing, which included 'akpola' shoes Aka platform shoes. 


The song "Sweet Mother" is a classic hit in Nigeria. 


It is played at weddings, Christenings, baby dedications, parties, housewarming, Churches thanksgivings, and offices.
 
 
Mother's Day in Nigeria; some sons and daughters play the song:  "Sweet Mother" for their 'ezigbo nne' Aka good mother.
 
 
1970's Nigerian male singers - many of them had music bands.   


Male singers like errrmmm, Osita Osadebe, Oliver De Coque Aka Sunday Akanite, Nico Mbarga, King Sunny Ade, FelaAnikulapo Kuti.
 
 
Nico Mbarga was from Old Cross River State in Nigeria West Africa Africa.
 
 
If you are non - Nigerian, would you like to listen to the song:  "Sweet Mother" by Nico Mbarga
 
 
On Mother's Day play it for your 'ezigbo nne' Aka good mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment